Hiya vs Neca vs Hot Toys

PritaPrita Blooded ☠️☠️

So what’s the scoop on Hiya and HTs? If you have any, how do you like them compared to Neca’s? Up to now, I haven’t collected any figures from either Hiya or HTs. The Hiya’s look to be pretty nice, nice paint and such, but they’re too small for my liking. For Hot Toys, from what I can tell, they only make larger figures that are just statues and most are well over 10” tall right?

- “ The Hyperactive Hunter”

Comments

• Drakar006Drakar006 Elite☠️☠️☠️
    edited July 20

Hot Toys makes 1/6th scale figures and various sized statues. They're usually in the triple digits when it comes to price. I had a few back in the day, but honestly wasn't that impressed with them. The rubber they use for the Predator's dreads didn't hold the paint on well in my experience and it was even worse for their Xenomorphs considering the whole body is covered with a rubber suit to act as the exoskeleton. They do have impressive paint applications, but the sculpts tend to be flawed. One of the ones I had was the Berserker Predator and the face was way off from the film version. IMO NECA has the best sculpts although they also tend to have QC issues along with not so great paint applications. I find the good thing about NECA is there's a lot of customizers that will work with them and repaint them to make the sculpts come to life and it tends to be more affordable than having the Hot Toys figures reworked. Hiya Toys are 1:18th scale (basically on scale with G.I. Joe figures. The sculpts look pretty impressive, but the paint jobs on the final products are rather lacking. There's really pros/cons to all three.

NECA's also doing their own G.I. Joe-esque ones here soon called the Classics Line, which I'm particullary excited about. The style is a cartoonish one based on the old Kenner Alien and Predator toys of the 90's. They're not made to be "realistic" sculpt-wise like Hiya, but if they're anything like the original Kenners there will be tons of detail in the sculpt along with action features. The first two set for release are the Berserker Predator with a Kenner-esque over-sized shoulder cannon that fires a missle and a Neomorph with jaw attack action.

No thought of compromise. The smell of blood, stirring emotion. So darkly devoted, I have become.
    -Device, Hunted
  • PritaPrita Blooded ☠️☠️

@Drakar006 - Thanks for the great info! New Ultimate Laser Shot Pred one of the new Classics? They say he is a “Clan Leader”. From the description on BBTS, he is one of the Classics. Looks very Kenner to me with the over-sized claw-hand and that pink disc thing. I don’t know what that thing behind his head is, that shoots an Alien tail-like arrow out of it. It’s huge. Funny, when I first saw him, I thought, “Umm. No Predator I know owns anything like that. And certainly nothing in PINK!!”. LOL!

Thanks again!

• Drakar006Drakar006 Elite☠️☠️☠️
    edited July 21

Lasershot is one of the Kenner homage ones like Spiked Tail. The original figure didn't have that energy shield, but NECA probably included it to add to the Terminator Hunter vibe. According to the backstory they gave that Tribe, they exclusively hunt mechanical beings. In some of the Terminator lore Skynet has eplimented energy shields that have a pink tint to them, so the shield is likely a repurposed trophy. The big thing on his back is his shoulder cannon, he has two, one fires a grappling hook and the other fires a laser (which I don't think the NECA one does, it is just for show, the original had the light effect in the cannon, NECA's has it in the bionic eye instead). They pretty much gave him and Spiked Tail half Yautja half machine vibes, Spiked Tail's bio even mentions that a lot of the trophies he takes are used to augment his body due to him being of considerable age and he wouldn't be able to function without them. A lot of the Kenner Predators did the hybrid thing before The Predator existed, NECA toned down the designs for some of them, the original Cracked Tusk for example had elephant-like tusks in place of the usual lower mandibles. There was also a Predator called the Night Recon Predator which looked like a cross between a Xenomorph and a Predator, but he wasn't a Predalien as he was shown to hunt alongside his fellow Yautja in a comic for the figures that sadly never got produced. There was also going to be a four-armed Predator with bull-like horns. A lot of these didn't get produced because the line died off. They even had female Predator and an aquatic-themed one planned (and there's even prototypes in existance), but the line died off before they could be produced.

NECA's been making updated versions for awhile now, then it comes to the ones that were actually produced by Kenner they're down to the last ones with Lasershot. The only one remaining is Night Recon, but since Spiked Tail's bio mentions R'zor, another Kenner figure that wasn't produced I'm thinking they may tackle those later.

The other Kenner line they're doing is a reverse one, making film characters into the cartoon-esque 4 inch figures like the old Kenners.

No thought of compromise. The smell of blood, stirring emotion. So darkly devoted, I have become.
    -Device, Hunted
  • PritaPrita Blooded ☠️☠️

@Drakar006 - Wow! You’re like the ultimate Predator encyclopedia! How did you get gain so much detailed information, especially on the histories? It’s very impressive! I see what you mean about the Kenner now. I only have 1, the Scavage. Ironically, I’m not a fan of any of the old Kenner stuff. They’re nice, just not my style. I am glad Neca is making more designs. I just hope they don’t spend all their time/money making a ton of the cartoon-y or way retro. To me, the retro (and Kenner) are just lack-luster. But again, that’s just me. As for the cartoon-y style. Guess, that has to be seen. Because if they’re anything remotely like those Funko pop head things, I won’t be getting into those. Anyway, I’ve got to learn where to start finding all this great information (I can’t keep bugging you! LOL). From what I gather, it’s mostly from comics. Which, I’m sorely lacking in. Another .... “This is why I’m broke”. Hahaha! Have a great day!