Why Do You Think Subsequent Predator Films Have Not Done As Well As The First At The Box Office

I am curious why you think the last three stand alone Predator films have not done as well at the Box Office as the first one has. Adjusted for inflation of course.  Was it the absence of Arnold, the characters and stories not being as good, or was it the fact that the mystery of the Predators and their actions has become better known so not as interesting?

Comments

• UncleWolfUncleWolf Yautja Leader☠️☠️☠️☠️
    I think the first Predator movie definitely had the star power to bring the people in. 
  • garethmbgarethmb Un-Blooded
    Very true. I also think there needed to be a bit more continuity. For example in Predator 2 it would not have been a bad idea to mention Dutch more than there were two survivors.  I think Predators would have worked as an AVP film. There were the other creatures in the cages which could have been Aliens with some tweaking. I also did not like the Wolf Predator concept as much. I also think it would be nice to have a true resolution for those survivors. The Predator had issues I think due to the reshoots where the back half was redone. They claimed it was to make it more night based but I think it is odd that once the enhanced Predator completes his mission; he decides it is time to hunt. 
  • UncleWolfUncleWolf Yautja Leader☠️☠️☠️☠️
    Also the first film had the better story and characters
  • PritaPrita Blooded ☠️☠️
    I have to ask all those movie critics out there.... not done well by who’s standards? I mean, is there a chart that rates what a movie should make to be considered a smash? Better yet, what is the ratio of those that made huge money compared to the costs of those films. I think I saw where Predator 2018 doubled his money from what it cost him to make it. So to me, that’s a positive. I see all those crap reviews out there.  What makes critics so skilled that their opinions matter anyway? I’ve seen lots of movies critics said were bad, and I loved them. As for Pred films, I don’t think of it as “could have done better’. I think of it as could have been done “different”. But that’s simply based on my own imagination. I guess if I created the movie, I would have used more big-name stars. That might have caught more eyes. And I agree, if having new faces, then if they related back to previous movie’s leads, it would piece it together quite well. Overall, I’m just happy we got the 2018. So much time goes between them, so I think we get lucky when any producer is willing to pick the movie up. I’ll take anything Predator I can get, good, bad or indifferent. I just hope it’s not another 20 years until another new one. I may not be around that long. Until then, I never tire of watching my re-runs. :-)

- “ The Hyperactive Hunter”

• MortiisMortiis Elite☠️☠️☠️
    Perhaps we should all get together all of us @all of us and start a script for a new movie with our meaning and adventure. Let’s starts a script with everybody’s ideas 💡 
  • garethmbgarethmb Un-Blooded
    Prita it is based on cost to make and promote the film and box office returns. The last few have not done as well as the original in terms of income vs cost.
  • Hawkins_Upside-DownHawkins_Upside-Down Yautja Leader☠️☠️☠️☠️
    edited April 20
    It’s definitely for more than one reason.  First off, simply said, the sequels go down hill from the original in terms of quality. Now Predator 2 is a very good watch and underrated, but still not as good as the original... and so on...

Another reason is the length between sequels.  The fans will always love the originals but the gaps make it difficult to keep the audience and momentum going forward. If the popularity suffers then merchandising suffers. And guess what? It’s a business and it will hurt everything that corresponds with it and be treated as a lower priority.  

There’s also a lack of consistency and continuity amongst the movies. At least too much for the audience to piece together with any certainty. 

Etc..
  • PATRICK_LUCKYSONPATRICK_LUCKYSON Un-Blooded
    edited May 8
    Don’t know I just know it isn’t Michael bay because he got nothing to do with it .............but?

What if now he does would it help the film 
  • AvPG_CorporalHicksAvPG_CorporalHicks Young Blood☠️
    Predators actually did pretty well in terms of money. The Predator didn't exactly fail but it wasn't a huge success either. If The Predator had cost as much to make as Predators did, it'd have been hugely successful! 

I just don't think they spend a huge amount on Predator films going forward. You just didn't see much of it on the screen with The Predator.